Last year I tried to grow king oyster mushrooms in paper towels (to get an effect similar to this: https://www.fieldforest.net/product/Oyster-TeePee-Kit/Indoor-Introductions). The paper towels were colonized very efficiently, but it stayed several months without fruiting.
Eventually, trichoderma began growing on top of the mycelium, and I gave up, so I put the whole thing into my worm bin.
I was under the impression that any spent mushroom blocks added to the worm bin would be doomed, because of the very competitive environment in the bin (molds, earthrowms, bacteria, springtails, mites, etc…, many of which I thought would eat and out-compete a mushroom)
Welp, I was wrong. It has been easily over 6 months and suddenly I found these very nice fruits just popping up in the bin. These guys are actually quite resilient!
I have learned something new. Mushrooms can indeed survive and fruit in a worm bin!*
* I have thrown spent blocks of several other species and this is the first time that I have seen mushrooms fruiting in the bin.